Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Night is not my favorite time of the day.  Emily does not sleep through the night and honestly never really did.  So I have a hard time believing parents who tell me their six week old sleeps through the night.  Really?  Neither of my kids ever have.  My two year old is getting better and there are some nights he does go all night, but even that took two years. 

Emily hates nights too.  I am not sure if it's the disease, or maybe the medicine, or perhaps just this whole traumatic experience, but she will cry during the night and usually wakes up to get a new ice pack for her injection site and then another time to go to the bathroom.  If I am on the top of my game I try to include both things in one wake up.  Usually I am not.  Usually I am lucky if I can be and loving mother at those times.  Not that I am mean to my child, but I am most definitely not happy to be up that late/early.

The worst part is when she just wakes up crying.  It must be some form of a night terror because she won't tell us what is wrong or respond to us.  So I just lay next to her waiting for her to wake up more or stop and tell me whats wrong.  The thing about the crying that makes it hard to deal with, for me, is that I can't take away what is making her cry.  I can't stop giving her the injections (lately those have been very hard for her to take) and I can't make this nasty disease go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment