Thursday, May 24, 2012

How to manage a SUPER tantrum

'roid rage is a live and well at our home.

Most days Emily is very good at controlling it, but sometimes it is just too much for her.  I understand how they make her feel a lot better thanks to Take Me Home from the Oscars; Arthritis, Television and Fashion By: Christine Schwab.  In her book Christine talks how the steroids affected her and I can see some of those same things in Emily.  Trouble sleeping and anger are the big ones we deal with.

So last night when that angry monster got the better of her I employed some technique that I thought I'd share.

First; I have to recognize where the tantrum is coming from.  Part was her not getting her way, part was the steroids.  I blame the steroids but she could also just be frustrated with everything that has happened to her lately.  I know I am frustrated just watching this disease and all the side effects from the medicine.

Super tantrum stages:
1. Whinny, super whinny with a touch of "I'm about to scream in anger." in her voice.
2. Anger, screaming at the world.  Sometimes with words, sometimes just loud screaming.
3. It all comes off.  In the hospital she would throw the pillows off her bed, last night she threw her clothes.  This is the glorious half-way point.
4. Sad crying, no more screaming just tears and sometimes a; "I want my mommy".  This is where mom or dad swoops in to comfort her and tell her it's going to be OK.

So to handle this I put on my patient hat and wait out the first three stages.  My husband and I will acknowledge her anger and even empathize with her, but we make sure she knows how she is dealing with it is not acceptable.  She does not get what she wants.

At the last stage we swoop in and comfort her and talk about it.  Why did she feel so angry?  Why did she scream?  How can we handle this differently next time?

They have improved since we left the hospital, but any tantrum is not fun in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment