Monday, April 30, 2012

A little cold


Our poor Emily has come down with a little cold.  That's not a good thing in my book and while I hope it stays little I am also worried.

It leaves me feeling like life isn't fair.  Yesterday at church, we were sitting next to another family and after about 20 minuets the mom turned to me and asked me to teach her Sunday School class because she was very sick and couldn't.  I couldn't say yes.  All I could say was that I was sorry, but my daughter has a suppressed immune system and not only could I not help with her class (because I had already promised to check in on Emily in her class often to ease her anxiety about going), I had to also ask her please to not be offended but I was going to have to move to the other foyer.  Now I am worried that by staying and trying to allow my child some spiritual learning I endangered her.  If only sick people would just stay home.  I mean she would have missed one Sunday.  A simple cold could lead to pneumonia and a hospital visit for Emily which means multiple Sundays missed.  It's not fair.  I wish other people realized how much of an impact they can have on other people's lives.

Now let's worry about kindergarten next year.  How about that parent who just can't miss a day of work (I've worked with them) for a sick kid so the kid goes to school and then instead of that parent taking one day off my daughter now has to stay home multiple days or worse go back to the hospital.

It's just not fair in my book.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree. People just don't think. You are doing right in looking out for Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, too. I've had to cancel plans with my family so many times when I know that someone is sick. Some of them don't seem to understand. I'm lucky enough to work from home now, but previously worked at a hospital (as a medical coder) and hospitals have the absolute WORST time off/call in sick policies!! Even for nursing staff, which completely astounds me. Why expose your patients to even more sickness?? Anyway, when I was working onsite, I caught just about every germ coming and going. Can't tell you how many verbal warnings I got for missing time. I used to keep Clorox or Lysol wipes on my desk and would wipe things down (especially my phone since I found out that others would hide in our cubicles on the late shift and use our phones). People are insensitive...

    ReplyDelete